Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I appear to be taking the day off


When I worked outside the home and didn't have kids, I would occasionally (well, frequently) take mental health days - days when I just didn't feel like working and so did not. After I had kids, I had to save my sick time for their illnesses, working through my own bouts with rotovirus and plague.

Now I stay home with my kids, and the benefits plan kind of blows. As far as I know, and I'm not sure who my HR rep is to verify this, I have no sick leave. Or vacation time or medical/dental or lunch breaks or private bathroom stalls. Or pay. But today, with no prior planning, I am just sort of opting-out of responsibility, and I have to say - it feels pretty good. I'm surprisingly guilt free. I picked a good day to do it. My big boy is at school, my little boy had his 2.5 hour preschool, and the twins are too little to care that they've been in pjs all day. My mother is being a grade A enabler, running the kids to their activities and...here's the biggie...purchasing Ben and Jerry's peanut butter cup ice cream while I napped. Imagine waking up from a nap to find Ben and Jerry's in the freezer. Decadent, I tell you. I did insist on eating soup before the ice cream, in an effort to stay on the right side of the line between relaxation and depravity.


I hereby resolve to enjoy my day off and not allow guilt to seep in and steal my joy. I've been on both sides of the Mommy Wars (though I'm proud to say I've never been a combatant), and both have their perks and their prices. Days off are rare for any mother, and I'm taking mine. Come join me if you wish. Bring your own ice cream.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be there in 12 days!

jackie said...

I had a morning off yesterday, I laid in bed reading Harry Potter while my husband took the girls to school and then picked them up. There was no ice cream, and it didn't last nearly long enough, but it was such a sweet morning!

Anonymous said...

now that is a brilliant idea, yea you!

Laura said...

Want. day. off. with. ice. cream. NOW.

cole edwards said...

thank you for the bisquits and potato chips too. I had frosting and did not have ice cream. maybe you are having sympathy PMS with me or something?