Saturday, October 07, 2006

And now for something completely different...


My parents used to love Monty Python. I sort of see the humor, but mostly I just have flashbacks to the nightmares I had as a kid after seeing the fat guy blow up in The Meaning of Life. However, the phrase "and now for something completely different" cracks me up for some reason, and therefore I will use it now to segue oh-so-smoothly from running commentary on my own life to a different kind of offering. I've been trying to think of what I can contribute to the internet, besides my own special brand of whining, so this is it, folks, my first non-whiny, you-yourself-can-try-this-at-home entry. This time, it will be a recipe, but I have other tricks up my sleeve, maybe, if my focus doesn't waver too much.

And now, the recipe - my first real cooking invention, and I'm very proud of it. It's easy, uses just a few on-hand ingredients, goes in the crockpot (my hands-down favorite kitchen item) and it's actually very good. Try it, you'll like it!

Crockpot Chicken Chili for a Crowd
5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 1/2 16oz jars of salsa
1 can diced tomatoes (with liquid)
2 cans whole kernel corn (drained)
2 cans black beans (drained)
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Put chicken breasts in crockpot (you can put them in frozen, then you don't have to touch oogy raw chicken!). Sprinkle with all spices (chili powder, cumin, garlic power, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper). Pour the salsa and the can of diced tomatoes (including liquid) evenly over the top of the chicken. Cook on low for 4-5 hours. Using two forks, shred the chicken in the crockpot. Add the cans of corn and black beans, stir to mix. Cook for an additional 3 hours. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped avocado, and tortilla chips. Makes 10-12 servings. Yum!

I feel like I've done a good deed now. Yay me!

2 comments:

Keith said...

and it was absolutely delicious as usual.

Megan said...

Ok, sounds good, but to put "yum" at the end is like listing a business with "upscale children's consignment". Heh.