Friday, August 04, 2006

A very sweet day

I'm sacked out in front of the TV, wearing my husband's comfortable ancient T-shirt (really, fully half of the man's clothes are older than I am) and watching my favorite new show, Psych. I just had the best day in a long time and I feel totally happy and relaxed. I was just reflecting on the day and realized that this is what I ate:

9:30am - bowl of granola with milk
12:00pm - bowl of cookie dough (what? I don't get sleep, I can't have some joy?)
1:00pm - chalupa and hard taco at
Taco Bell
4:00pm - cookie (at least it was cooked)
7:30pm - order of jalapeno poppers
9:30pm - bowl of moose tracks ice cream
10:00pm - another (very small! really!) serving of cookie dough

Hmmm. That's a LOT of sugar. And really very little in the way of actual food. This leads me to two conclusions (I'm big on lists since the twins were born, because I think in fragments if/when I think at all):
1) There is a real correlation between my sugar intake and my mood.
2) My dear friend is a La Leche League volunteer and is almost certainly thinking, and rightly so, that this is not the ideal diet for a nursing mother. Sigh.

For the record, I really HAVE been eating well, especially the last few days - incorporating protein and vegetables (not only in deep fat fried fashion) and limiting my desserts (shut up, I can hear you laughing and it hurts my feelings. I have TOO been limiting my desserts). But today just felt like a holiday somehow. I was going to write all about all the fun stuff we did and how we had a great time with friends and family, but all this thinking about food made me realize I really want something else to eat before bed. I promise it won't be sugary.

4 comments:

Gina said...

I too had a very similar diet in early nursing, and it didn't get a whole lot better! You will crave what you need. Right now you probably need sugar to stay awake and not insane. Plus sweetens that milk (does it?) so those babies will drink drink drink.
It was fantastic seeing you today. Sam was mighty impressed by Justin (though he keeps calling him Alden!)--he told me "that kid is my new friend."

cole edwards said...

You can call me by my name when you are saying that you think I give you crap. I don't mind. I am not one to mock any diet the last 2 days.

Thursday I had french fries and gravy for lunch a slice of pizza for dinner.

Yesterday I had a raspberry muffin, an ice cream sandwich, beef jerky and fried chicken wings.

I did come home and have a big bowl full of fruit with that yummy greek yougurt and honey.

LOVE YA

Debbi said...

Ha, Cole - the sad thing is, my diet makes yours look healthy. And I didn't say you'd SAY my diet was bad, I said you'd think it - I don't think you give me crap, I think your voice in my head is trying to act as my food conscience, and sadly is inadequate in the face of no willpower and extreme exhaustion. It's good for me to have that voice, though, imagine what I'd be eating if I DIDN'T have you in my head trying to help me make good choices!

jackie said...

Hi Debbi!

Having twin newborns gives you license to do whatever you want. That was my constant refrain when my girls were brand-new!