Thursday, August 03, 2006

New meaning of pain


Can you believe another post? This one is necessary, though, as I must purge my memory of the most traumatic experience ever (or at least the most traumatic today). Viewer discretion advised - there will be talk of breasts, but not the kind of talk that men like my husband generally search blogs for.

I took the twins to the pediatrician, thinking they had thrush. Turns out they don't (I know, this sounds like good news, bear with me). The pediatrician is also a lactation consultant, so she asked to look at the breast that hurts, and determined that I have a clogged duct. When mashing it (ouch, but only lowercase ouch) didn't free the clog, she gave me a shot of novacaine IN MY NIPPLE (big uppercase OUCH), then CUT it a little to try to get the clot out. Then, while I was numb, she mashed and mangled it - didn't hurt at the time, but I knew it would kill once the novacaine wore off, and sure enough, it's wearing off now and I can hardly think it hurts so much. On the bright side, at least it won't linger for months like thrush can. God, though, I hurt, and I really really don't want to nurse them on this. The doctor said I should go to bed w/them and just nurse and rest until it's better, that I'm not resting enough. Well, send me a wet nurse and I'll get right on that.

Ow. Ow ow ow ow ow. And to think I was actually ENJOYING nursing this time.

3 comments:

cole edwards said...

I love you sweetie....see you soon I hope?

xxoo

Anonymous said...

I love how you tell the all about these adventures. It brings me home! I can't wait to visit.

Gina said...

Ugh, clogged duct...no fun. I can't believe she cut it out! aargh!
I had one once but just did the constant nursing til it passes thing. very sore.
my sympathies are with you!