Thursday, August 31, 2006

For Heidi

This post is dedicated to my dear friend Heidi, who I already knew kicked all kinds of ass, but who just won my love and admiration anew with her thorough dismantling of a seriously misguided and arrogant right-wing commenter on our mutual friend's blog. Click HERE for the smackdown. Don't you just love her? So, it's a little challenging to come up with a post topic on the fly, but for Heidi I will do my best.

I've been getting out of the house more and getting less sleep even than usual the last few days, so I have lots of random little daily life stories and even more random half-baked thoughts, but putting together anything coherent seems daunting at best. I've started employing the voice recording features on my cell phone and digital camera to try to stop the attenuation of my brain activity, so I'll begin this most random of posts with the most recent recording. The recording is as follows:

"Goat magazines."

See how deep the thoughts go when I'm away from the computer? This note was recorded while at the Maryland State Fair today. My friend Tivoli is in town and she and I took the 3 youngest children to the fair. By the time we parked and actually made it onto the fairgrounds, we were starving (okay, I was starving), so we immediately parked ourselves on a bench and ate our picnic lunches. As we ate, Tivoli mentioned that she has a friend who buys offbeat magazines and who recently purchased, yes, a GOAT MAGAZINE. This struck me as absolutely hilarious and I wanted to share with all of you, though to be fair, my entire personality is at an angle these days like one of those old V8 commercials. There really is only so much sleep deprivation one can endure without going nutty.

For a more mutisensory experience (hmm, is reading a sense? Guess not - so really, reading and looking at pictures both use just the same one sense. Oh well, work with me), here are some pictures from the fair:





Those are some giant sheep balls





Cute, thirsty (or, as I originally typed, thursday) duckling


These piglets were just minutes old (and reminded me disturbingly of the fetal pig dissection portion of high school). Their poor mama pig was still in the process of delivering more piglets while we were there. I thought having twins was a little rough.





Doesn't this cow look a bit like a younger Mickey Rooney?

That's all I've got for now - so, Heidi, this one's for you. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

MamaNiger said...

Thanks Debbi. I really do appreciate you helping me to remain entertained. Seriously as sad is it may be to admit I thoroughly enjoy your blogs and spend too much of my life clicking on them to see if they are updated. I really should just pick up the phone and call but that would mean I would have to make some effort. I like it this way better. :-)

cole edwards said...

Why is that newborn pig being stabbed to death by that long metal pole??????

Also you do not want to be a pig and have babies cause baby pigs get big REALLY fast. Like at 2 months they might be around 200-300 pounds. YIKES...try nursing that one man.

Gina said...

goat magazine...
by goats?
for goats?
or made from goats?