Tuesday, August 15, 2006

It's 3am, I must be lonely

Those wise songwriters at Matchbox Twenty sure know their stuff. Three am is a lonely time. If you're young and free, 3am is when you realize that you've stayed out too late, had too much to drink, and that the person you found wildly attractive an hour before is not as transcendent as you thought. If you're older and more responsible, 3am is when you realize that you are NOT going to beat insomnia tonight, so you might as well get up and resign yourself to a rough(er) work day tomorrow.

If you are absolutely ancient, like me (in mind and body, if not in chronological age), and have 400 children, 3am is when your twins wake up shrieking and soaked in their own bodily fluids and it's 3 zillion degrees in their nursery and you can't move your arms to put your hair up or turn up the air conditioning or strangle yourself because you're buried in infant flesh. Or maybe that's just me. Yeah, that one's probably just me. Sigh. That makes it all the lonelier.

Things are going well overall. These babies are just the sweetest, if not the best sleepers, and I'm fortunate enough to have a LOT of help. I remember this phase from my other babies - when I feel better physically and am restless as all hell to catch up on all the stuff I haven't done in ages because of the constraints of pregnancy and new motherhood - socializing, shopping, day trips. Hell, cleaning the house. But the babies haven't gotten the memo yet that mom's ready to get back into the swing of things, and like baby birds they chirp and chirp to be fed, so often that there comes a point in each day where I just give up and accept that there will be no further non-baby-related activity in the day.

Oh! That reminds me. My husband and eldest son were doing yardwork the other day and knocked down a small tree that (they then discovered) had a bird's nest in it, with 2 baby birds in it. Fortunately, for the birds, the tree is still sort of propped in place, so they should be okay. Not so fortunately for my husband, the mother bird was on duty and was fairly pissed off that he had jeopardized her babies. She attacked him with squawks and feathers and scared a few years off his life.

That story was not especially relevant, but my mind's not working in an entirely straight line these days. Hey, I'm posting, and that's what matters, right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was up at 3 also. With the five year old. Yawn. Should have called you, not that you would have had a free hand to answer...

cole edwards said...

as I said the other night on the phone...you give "pressin the flesh" a whole new meaning baby.

thankfully, I was actually asleep last night as my youngest slept from about 1am to 5am. Longest stretch in 2 months. and she is 2 1/2.

See...Alden was the easiest baby...and then she SUCKED. SO, ergo, the twins will suck some now and then be just peachy.

BTW...your luck should be back, seriously.

MamaNiger said...

and I said baby, i just can't help but be scared of it all sometimes and the rains gonna wash away I believe it.

what lyrics....

and i hate you b/c now i have that song stuck in my head