Saturday, December 09, 2006

The Sound of Music - a comedy


We are introducing the children to The Sound of Music. I do love this movie, but haven't seen it in a while and did not fully appreciate how much laughter it would generate. It started yesterday, when my husband told the five year old that the man in this movie "has a TON of kids." I pointed out that the Captain actually has only one more child than we do, and my husband actually paled as he muttered something and left for work.

Then, we were just watching it again (we go in movie streaks around here) and were on the wedding scene, which prompted this conversation between me and the 5 year old:

Boy: Are the children going to laugh?
Me: No, why?
Boy: Because they're going to kiss.

Okay, mildly funny. But then there was this, apparently prompted by the multitude of wee von Trapps:

Boy: If you don't want to have another baby, you have to give me real money, and it better be $55.
Me: How are you going to keep me from having another baby?
Boy: (pause) I don't know. Okay, you'd better not marry another man.
Me: I don't want to marry another man, I want to be married to Daddy forever.
Boy: (pause again) Well, you'd better not use daddy to put a sperm in you.

I believe I choked at that point, ending the conversation. I swear, the word sperm is the silliest thing ever, and it's even funnier coming from a little kid.

Incidentally, did you know that the real-life von Trapp descendents are a singing group? I saw them on The View the other day (much to my husband's horror, I watch The View occasionally now. So sue me, I like Rosie O'Donnell).

4 comments:

cole edwards said...

I will give you $60 for another kid?

xx

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Rosie! Funny! Smart! Kind! Funny! When she and Joy go at it, it is so much fun. Joy is funny, smart, kind, and funny, too. Tell Keith to shove it, it's a good show. I'm sure there are shows he watches that can be sniggered at.

CaliGirl said...

i watch the view every day i can also. i like it and even more so now that rosie is on. you can let the "man" know that i can watch the view and listen to howard all in the same day and not be mental. lol

Anonymous said...

Howard and Rosie! Yes!