Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Iraq - not going so well, after all

I've been watching the Iraq Study Group report and feeling just the tiniest smidge of optimism. At first blush, it seems that the group really looked at the situation in a bipartisan fashion without preconceived notions. And shockingly, their conclusions are pretty much the polar opposite of what we've been hearing from the Bush administration as recently as this past election - we are not winning, it is not almost over, staying the course is not going to work. Yes, most people watching the news probably already knew all that, but it's reassuring somehow to hear official-type people acknowledging it.

That rambling, inarticulate paragraph was prised unwilling from my shutting-down brain. My thoughts are doing a kind of reverse evolution. Watching the report, I was thinking "ooo, good. Good man. Good report." Short words, unembellished reactions. I feel like a cave person, intent only on survival. At some point, some day, I must. get. some. sleep. My friend asked how I was this morning and I burst into tears. I'm not proud, but I'm not ashamed either, as that's too complicated an emotion for my cavewoman brain. My only emotion right now is tired (yes, it can grow into an emotion), with an occasional side of hungry and at least one daily round with despair. Don't I sound like a hoot? Tell me you don't want to come party with me.

1 comments:

cole edwards said...

I was listening to NPR this morning and they were talking about D. Rumsfelds letter 2 days before he "resigned" that said the same stuff, like, um, we should just pack it in...blahblahblah! So funny. Conveinent timing, no? Did I just spell that wrong. i swear I can not spell my way out of a paper bag. blech.

ALSO, 70 billion!!!!!! dollars was JUST approved by congress to resupply the miliatary with more tanks, hummers, choppers ect...because (they said) that they were not built for a war? And they are wearing out pretty quickly. hm.

Fuckers.

I hope you get some sleep.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx