Thursday, December 21, 2006

For sale: two slightly used babies

The babies aren't sleeping. I know, babies don't sleep, especially. It's not like it's unexpected. However, this week they're taking it to extremes, and I'm discovering that sleep is like water - go without it for a surprisingly short time and you're done for. Every day without it is exponentially worse than the day before.

The longest I've slept this week is one two-hour nap in the middle of the day. At night, each baby is getting up every one to two hours, resulting in 8-10 interruptions per 8 hours in bed. I lie in bed, hating life, doing the math of my exhaustion. I dream in sharp shards, broken from the whole, in which I scream and scream. I wake up angry that I didn't get the chance to scream for real and fall back to sleep searching for the thread I keep losing. I dream of dying creatures, of blood and danger, of fury and desperation. During the day, I feel my thoughts slow to a crawl and my forehead crease several times a day as I try to remember what really happened and what was just a dream fragment. I search for words and come up with nothing and my sentences trail off into futility.


And now, I have to stop writing so I can go grocery shopping and clean and decorate. Happy holidays!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just pack one or both of them up and send them to me!

Laura said...

Do they come in their original boxes?

DUDE . . . I am so sorry that you're still not sleeping. I can't imagine the exhaustion and frustration you must be feeling. Have you tried threatening the babies with coal in their stockings? It's worth a shot.

Anyway, in spite of everything, happy holidays! Can't you send someone else (perhaps one of the babies) to the grocery store?