Friday, September 29, 2006

Kindness jar and illness updates


We are now 6 days into the great kindness jar experiment, and I'm seeing real progress. I'm very encouraged. My five-year-old, especially, has been acting much sweeter. I know that sometimes he's actively thinking, "I'll be nice so I can get a slip in the jar," but more and more, he seems to just be being nice, with no ulterior motive. Hurray! Just now, he shared his roller skates with the 3 year old without being asked, helped him put them on, then hugged him when he (inevitably) got hurt. HUGGED HIM. AND, the 3 year old hugged him back.

Yes, I know that in some families, less insane families, calmer and quieter families, a single hug between siblings might not be cause for celebration, but it is here. It's been a long road for these boys, and a rough one lately for the older boy, and I'm so happy I could just weep. If only I had the energy.

Which leads me to an update on current twin events - they both have ear infections. I was just reading the other day (damn it, can't find the article, just trust me) that there are new medical recommendations that ear infections not be treated with antibiotics, as most will resolve on their own after 5-7 days. At the time, I totally agreed with the article. My father is a microbiologist, and I grew up with a fear of a world without effective antibiotics (what? you didn't grow up worrying about this? I didn't have a normal childhood?). It was amazing how my hypocrisy sprouted full-grown from my head like Athena when I heard that the twins had ear infections. I didn't so much as peep when the doctor whipped out her prescription pad, and I've already given them each a dose. I'm a weak, sad little person.


Wow. While I was writing this, my friend called (shout out to Donna, by the way, who actually read my blog this week - she's a little bit of a Luddite, so this is big), and I spent an hour on the phone and in the kitchen (having entirely forgotten what I was doing, as I am wont to do), and the boys were quiet. And didn't fight. And were still breathing. All at the same time. It's a freaking miracle, I tell you. All hail the kindness jar!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

what is a luddite? and no I am not!