Friday, September 15, 2006

I lie on questionnaires


Not on purpose, but I overthink my answers. Maybe that's why none of those career surveys ever helped me find a career I'd actually enjoy (or maybe I really am just cut out not to work at all and am a boil on the butt of humanity, which is a totally possible alternative explanation). For example, if a survey asked, "what is your idea of a perfect day?" I would probably answer something like "getting out of the house to the beach/fair/other activity with my family on a beautiful day." I now realize, however, that this is not the truth, because today has been nearly flawless. Today it is pouring down rain, I am still in pajamas at 2:30, most of my family has been out of the house all day (husband at work, big boy at school, little boy on playdate), and I have spent the whole day either napping or clearing out piles of paperwork large enough to start composting on their own if they linger any longer. Who would ever write this day down on their questionnaire? I am so not the queen of self-knowledge.

What's your perfect day? Does anyone else's involve sloth, solitude, and slovenliness?

1 comments:

cole edwards said...

Perfect day would be:

Sleep in, eat a huge breakfast of french toast, fruit and a latte. Not gaining an ounce. Sun and relaxing on a beach or lake or pond. Go home and take a nap with my kids and husband all snuggling in the same bed peacefully with no one jarring me awake. Then lunch of a Rueben sandwich with french fries and gravy. Art musuem with enough money to buy something in a gallery on the way home after being inspired by such beauty. Children are interested and tame as we all walk and talk about the art. Go home to lounge around with a bunch of close friends eating a catered dinner of BBQ, lobster, salad, bread and lots and lots of cake and chocolate. Great wine that no matter how much I drink I don't get hung over. Kids go to sleep and sleep all night and I sleep for 10 hours straight right after mind blowing sex with my husband.
that will never happen.

I would settle for in reality, a family breakfast and I don't have to clean up but will cook it. Lounging around in a clean and organized house and play a game together. (I can't wait until the kids can play cards...I LOVE that)Outing with some friends and kids. Easy dinner of fabulous pizza and more friends hanging out. A peaceful nights sleep and good sex.