Monday, April 16, 2007

Men are boring

In real life, I know plenty of interesting men, but I'm beginning to conclude that no one in Hollywood knows any. A lot of scorn is heaped on the chick-flick genre, but damn there are a lot of dull men-only movies just itching to be mocked. Or slept through. Movies whose casts consist of 15 identical men in identical suits with identical haircuts, muttering portentously and incoherently about top secret boringness, brightened only by 30 second appearances by Angelina Jolie, or occasionally some other gorgeous but neglected heroine.

We're 3/4 of the way through The Good Shepherd, which I really wanted to watch, and I stopped paying attention at least an hour ago. From what I'm overhearing, though, nothing much has happened. Matt Damon is wearing glasses now, which means he's 20 years older, but Angelina Jolie has not aged with him, and their child is a grown and quite unattractive young man. How do casting agents think Angelina Jolie and Matt Damon are going to have an ugly child? But I digress. My main objections to this movie are that all dialogue is in mutters, everyone looks the same, and nothing happens.

Disclaimer: I have the flu and may be cranky.

1 comments:

MamaNiger said...

We saw this movie at the actual movie theater. Which was the first time we've gone to the movies together since early 2005 - sad I know. Djibril and I both hated it too. Way too long!!! I'm with ya on the thumbs down and I don't think your flu likely would sway your opinion.