Saturday, April 28, 2007

And now, for a change of pace...


I looked over my own posts recently and realized that they're heavily weighted toward all the negative things about life with a bunch of kids. I think I tend to post when I'm fed up and need to take a break and blow off steam, so I end up giving a skewed view of things. Plus, annoying things are just funny to me. However, in the interest of balance and fairness, and because today sucked less than days have tended to lately, here are some good things about each of my little monkeys:

1) Our big girl is 10 now, and so grown up lately. Today, she saved the three year old when he lost his mind and ran toward traffic with no warning or observable incentive. She had four teeth pulled this month in the interest of packing the rest of her teeth in her head properly and was so brave about it. And my favorite moment with her today - she came to me and started a sentence with the words, "I don't tell on people often..." I started howling with laughter and made her repeat it several times before allowing her to proceed, and she took my mockery with good grace. She's a good egg.

2) The biggest boy is quite a renaissance kid. Just today, he was in a really cool play that evolved from his drama class (as opposed to a pre-scripted play) and he was amazing. He can really dance, didn't stumble over his lines, and stayed in character and focused the whole time. Then we all went to his baseball game, where he dominated as usual. He's such a natural athlete - it's very clear that he is my stepchild and not a biological relative. I'm afraid my biokids are at a distinct genetic disadvantage, athletically.

3) My first born will be 6 in three days, and I can hardly believe it. He's been having me tell stories from his infancy lately, and never tires of hearing about the time he accidentally "broke" a caterpillar when he was 2 or when he climbed into a bookshelf when he was 7 months old and I panicked because I couldn't find him. He's almost finished with kindergarten and is a math whiz. His behavior is sometimes erratic, but he tries so hard and is really patient with his little brothers and sister.

4) This is a toughie, as the three year old has been a little off lately. Well, more off - he's always a little different. He's also always entertaining, though, and the little glimpses we get into the world of his own mind frequently make my day. Today, he made a friend at his brother's baseball game, and spent an hour playing a game they made up that involved no Star Wars characters at all. I consider that to be a breakthrough. He's smart as a whip and a computer genius, which is probably a mixed blessing, and he does love the babies. A little too much, most of the time.

5) My girlie is just about the best baby alive, really. She is happy and funny and love love loves people and attention. She's flexible and a semi-decent sleeper. Plus, I can dress her up like a doll and paint her toenails. I love her truly-madly-deeply. Oh, and she can suck a golf ball through a garden hose, a skill which came in very handy when I had a blocked milk duct today and one that she will hopefully not find any other uses for.

6) Little bit boy has been much less suckass the last couple days, for which I am incredibly grateful. He is cruising along the couches and clapping for himself, and his wisps of hair look like those of a little old man who has given up on combovers. He has a fierce temper but loves his twin and follows her all over the house. If he would just. sleep. I would be as besotted with him as I am with the wee girl.

Who knew writing non-whine could be so fun? I should try it more often.

1 comments:

Gina said...

The girls both look so much more grown up than just a few months ago!
I think O and Boy Twin are conspiring together.
And Sam and I were just talking about "Little O"'s (to distinguish him from his 6 yo friend O)amzing video game skills.