Saturday, November 11, 2006

Who, exactly, is ANTI-health


Here's some more insight into my own singular screwiness (or maybe I'm not alone in this after all) - one of my small but profound joys is opening a new tube of toothpaste. I prolong the excitement for as long as possible, squeezing out the last smidge of old toothpaste so I can feel like I really earned the new tube. Okay, this sounds even nuttier written out, so I'm going to move on.

This morning was a new toothpaste morning. Not only did I get to open a new tube, but it was even a new kind of toothpaste, since I buy what's on sale and refuse to get brand loyal about something we spit out. Today's variety? Crest Pro-Health.

As I brushed (and I must say, there's something gritty in this paste that makes your teeth feel dentist fresh), I mulled over the name and the subtext of calling one's product or politics "pro" anything. It has always annoyed me that the anti-abortion faction calls themselves "pro-life." Rendering the rest of us, I suppose, anti-life. I don't know about the rest of you choicers, but I rarely go about like godzilla, wiping out cities and civilizations (though god knows, it sounds appealing some days, specifically when I am stuck behind someone going TWENTY-FIVE on the freeway, but I digress). I am not anti-life, I am anti-you-not-minding-your-own-business. So there.

A-HA! you thought this was about toothpaste, but it has morphed into still more politics. Even I'm surprised this time, I really did think I was writing about toothpaste. I appear to be still in the getting-to-know-you phase with myself. How troubling.

0 comments: