Tuesday, November 07, 2006

One more rant, before the election is over

I wish I'd found this article sooner, although who knows what good it would have done me. It's long, it's slanted, it's written colloquially, but it's still worth reading. It gives a lot of information about how badly Congress has been failing to fulfill its obligations these past six years, and a lot of reasons why it has gone well beyond business as usual. I don't see how anyone really looking at the evidence here (overlook the tone if you can and just look at the verifiable facts contained within) can say that both political parties are the same. This particular batch of Republicans is unique, and not in a good way.

One brief excerpt, although I really do encourage everyone to read the whole thing:

[The ranking minority member of the Government Reform Committee has produced a] lengthy document detailing all of the wrongdoing by the Bush administration that should have been investigated -- and would have been, in any other era. The litany of fishy behavior left uninvestigated in the Bush years includes the manipulation of intelligence on Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction, the mistreatment of Iraqi detainees, the leak of Valerie Plame's CIA status, the award of Halliburton contracts, the White House response to Katrina, secret NSA wiretaps, Dick Cheney's energy task force, the withholding of Medicare cost estimates, the administration's politicization of science, contract abuses at Homeland Security and lobbyist influence at the EPA.

This is not to say that I believe there are no good Republicans - I think there are. Unfortunately, I believe that the good ones have been just as marginalized by this administration and this Congress as the Democrats and Independents (and the American people, for that matter). I am writing this as a form of virtual nail-biting while I wait for election results, hoping that a lot of good conservative Americans looked at the facts of the past six years and voted against party and in favor of democracy.

I promise, I will try very hard to stop now, and return to stories about my children and the special brand of idiot that I encounter every time I leave the house (I think I emit a special idiot-attracting phermone). Thank you all for your patience (especially you, Meg!).

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Need help with weffriddles #39 I NEED A VERY BIG HINT LOL, been stuck for over a day.

brettmac727@yahoo.com


the link if u cant remember the lvl is
www.weffriddles.com/wr2/nocontrol.html