Saturday, August 06, 2005

Today's I-Can't-Write-Scapegoat - Happiness

I passed by an eviction today - all of someone's worldly belongings thrown into the street. I think my husband did an entry on that phenomenon a while ago, let me see - ah, screw it, I finally found the entry but can't figure out how to link just to that entry, even though I did it before. I think maybe that beer I had for medicinal purposes (did I mention my husband gave me his cold?) wasn't such a hot idea. But we're out of cold medicine.

Okay, the eviction was not the point. The point was - I realized as I drove by this particular eviction that I have never been evicted. Or fired, or really even broken up with. I was watching Kill Reality the other night (really stupid show), and one of the wannabes said that she had never experienced any personal tragedy and was therefore incapable of acting tragic. I think I made fun of her (I don't feel bad about this - I really think it's sort of the point of the show), but now that I think of it, I sort of live a charmed life too. I've been sad, of course, I'm not quite as removed from reality as the dimwit in question - I've lost people I've loved and I have imagination enough to comprehend the tragedies that every mother fears - but I have never gone hungry (or been evicted), I have a husband and children who are healthy and who love me, I had a well-paying if not at all satisfying career and now stay home with my kids by choice and enjoy it. I've never really had to deal with rejection, though the very idea of it can scare me sideways at times. No wonder I can't find anything serious to write about, I'm in the middle of a happy and therefore rather uninteresting life. Not that I'm complaining, if those are the alternatives.

In other news - I'm re-watching The Good Girl. Love Jennifer Aniston.

0 comments: