Saturday, August 06, 2005

More politics

Politics is what you all get when I read the news first thing in the morning, before my defenses are up properly. This isn't really so much a political opinion as an overall feeling about the world, country, etc.

I just saw a picture of Bill Clinton and had a feeling of nostalgia - every time I see his face, I remember feeling hopeful, like things were moving in the right direction. It was just after the end of the Cold War, and having grown up with air raid drills in school, the new international cooperation seemed very promising. I graduated from college with no worries about the economy, part of a strong middle class - something that is essential to democracy.

Now I feel like we've squandered all of that - the international goodwill, the strong economy, the protected and productive middle class. It hardly feels like a democracy any more - any time checks and balances trouble this administration, they find a way around them (as in Bolton's appointment). I thank god for term limits and hope the damage isn't irreversible.

I'm really not extremely political, although obviously I slant to the left. I have a lot of friends and family who are conservative, and as I respect them, I respect their opinions. I hold on to the idea that maybe they see something I don't of hope and progress in this current situation that seems so dire to me.

Okay, back to regularly scheduled poop stories and children's antics - sorry for the departure.

0 comments: