Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The ostrich approach to housework

I have rationalized myself into half of the house. I finally (after 10 days of being home) have the kitchen, dining room, and living room livable. The front room looks like a large, eccentric, and disorganized family is moving into it, and it stresses me out to look at it, so my solution is - I don't. I'm living in the back half of the house with the doors closed. More efficient to air condition anyway. I feel much calmer. And lazier. In fact, this approach is proving so successful, I'm going to apply it to other areas of the house, effective immediately. The refrigerator is an obvious candidate, as I know for a fact some of the food in there has started evolving. Also the guest room, where my husband dumps all clean laundry, apparently with the belief that we have elves or fairies or other friendly sprites that will come fold and put away the clothes while we sleep.

Actually, if I just lay in supplies as if for nuclear war or cult membership, I could stop leaving the house and instead ostrich myself regarding the yard as well. Our yard is always a bit of a fright, but around mid-summer it always becomes really out of control. The heat and humidity that wither me within minutes outdoors have a radiation-on-Dr-Banner effect on the weeds. You can measure their daily growth in feet, not inches. If I had any gardening ability at all, such lushness would inspire me to landscaping, but as I don't, my only visions about my yard involve flamethrowers and salting the earth.

Oh, right, brevity. Summary is - my new strategy for housewifery is to ignore my responsibilities. Hmm, I preferred the more flowery explanation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, but has your fridge become a home for winged creatures?

Our yard could use some of your lush-ness. It currently has a desolate, withered look about it. I half expect a tumbleweed to roll by...

Keith said...

I cannot tell a lie - at night I pray for the laundry faeries, elves, trolls, angels and/or pixies to come help me with the mess I just made in the guestroom. Why do you forsake me, laundry little people?

Anonymous said...

Hey, what's wrong with tumbleweed?