Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Punctuation abuse

I really do try not to be judgmental. I am one of those fortunate (and, evidence suggests, rare) people to whom spelling and punctuation just come naturally. However, sometimes other people's liberties with the written word just drive me completely up the wall. I am the president of my boys' preschool this year, and I have spent much of the past week revising ancient documents in preparation for our orientation. It seems to me that whoever first wrote these documents did not understand the rules for comma usage but knew that commas are necessary and so scattered them throughout the paragraphs wantonly and with utter disregard for rules of grammar or others' sensibilities.

Please, if you do not understand the rules for comma usage, learn them. You may think no one notices, but they do. I assure you.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why, are you so, worried. about punctuation!?