Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman started the year I was born, and I remember worshiping Lynda Carter from a very early age. My husband has already exploited pictures of me in Wonder Woman underoos on his own blog, and I recently came across a fan letter I wrote to Lynda Carter when I was five. I taped a quarter to the letter - I guess I thought celebrities were a charity. My mother saved it instead of sending it. I was mad when I found out, but now I'm glad to have concrete evidence of one of my early obsessions.

When the Wonder Woman series was recently released on DVD, my mother sent me the set. My television tastes have matured a little since I was first crazy about the show, so it sat on a shelf for a while. My husband opened it up a month ago when he could not face another minute of watching the Incredible Hulk (also released on DVD, and why do they keep making new kids' shows when my kids at least are completely satisfied with the old ones?). It was an instant hit with the under-10 crowd, so I've been immersed in the show a lot lately.

Although I'm sure Lynda Carter is aging beautifully, I'm afraid the same can not be said for the show. It's terrible for all the obvious reasons, but today I found the acid test for awful dialogue delivery - I accidentally hit the button on the DVD that makes the movie play at 1.5 speed, and neither my son nor I even noticed for over 30 minutes. My son noted that the music was playing fast, so I looked up and could tell that the actors' motions were slightly jerkier and even less natural than usual, but I never would have known from just listening to their voices. No wonder the show was an hour long, each line took 3 minutes to deliver.

I can't wait until the kids move on to their next fixation. What will it be? The A-Team? MacGyver?

0 comments: