Friday, July 15, 2005

Giving in to the mommy urge

I'm not doing a very good job of keeping up with this blog - I'm afraid it will go the way of the 4000 journals I've kept since I was little, with five or six clustered entries followed by pages and pages of nothing. Part of the problem this time is that I'm currently on a very slow-paced vacation with two small children, so there's not much to write about other than their little exploits. I sort of wanted to avoid this being another mommy blog - there are so many, and so many I really like, that I don't want to be too redundant.

Of course, all that is just leading up to saying that I'm already going to give in and write about the kids after all. I can't help it, they're pretty much the funniest people alive. And the only ones here for me to write about (except my mother - but she can read and knows about this blog, so she's a dangerous potential subject).

Justin is four and says the funniest things on a regular basis, but my memory is a faulty vessel and I'm afraid I forget most of them before I can even tell anyone. One from this morning - he climbed up on top of the TV cabinet and saw the dust on the TV. His eyes got huge and he shouted to his little brother, "OWEN! Magic dust!" I think he thought Tinkerbell had been here. Oh, and from first thing today - he woke up and said "can I have some cheerios with the sweet sweet taste?" I asked if he wanted to look into commercial work.

Owen is at least as funny but has so far decided not to speak, so his humor is harder to describe. I'm not complaining about the muteness, by the way - Justin talks enough for both of them, and a couple extras. It's amazing, though, how a little monkey child with no speech can have so much personality. Most of it devilish. He understands pretty much everything (as evidenced by his immediate and violent response when Justin taunts him), and reacts with appropriate but hilarious body language and facial reactions.

I would try to concentrate further (much good it would do me) and come up with better and more detailed examples of how cute my kids are, but unfortunately they have transformed into little beasts while I was typing this, so I'm no longer in the right frame of mind. Perhaps a post about their more negative qualities would be easier to write, but I'm afraid it would be too long to read.

0 comments: