Friday, July 15, 2005

Games my children teach me

My children teach me so much more than I teach them (of course, this may be due to my vastly superior ability and willingness to pay attention to anything for longer than 2 seconds, and/or the fact that my brain is larger than a walnut). They make up games and songs and stories and I marvel at their creativity. Most of the time.

The current game they are teaching me I'm not so crazy about - I like to call it musical beds. They seem to be engaged in a contest to see how many times they can change beds between sunset and sunrise. This is extra challenging here in the far north, as summer days are long and dark is only about seven hours long. I can say this with authority, having seen nearly every sunrise AND every sunset here during the past two weeks.

Last night, the boys teamed up for their musical beds entry, and as de facto judge I have to admire the effort:

10:30 - Both boys asleep in my bed (regular bed time is 8, preferably in their own beds, but any sleep must be deemed a success)
12:00 - I'm asleep in Justin's bed
2:45 - I wake up to find Justin in bed with me - he's getting stealthier, extra points for climbing over me without waking me up
4:00 - I hear fat feet thumping down the hallway. Owen is on the loose. I catch him halfway to the living room, apparently ready to start his day. Little monkey. I go to bed with him in my room.
5:45 - Justin comes into my room, now all three of us are in bed.

Summary - Owen didn't change beds but did get up, Justin and I both changed beds (Justin did twice). Definitely an A effort all around.

Man, I'm tired.

0 comments: