Monday, July 11, 2005

First entry - how intimidating

I feel like such a copycat, starting a blog after my husband's has gotten so good (http://kalioto.blogspot.com), but I've spent a lot of time alone this week and have realized a few things about myself. I've wanted to be a writer for as long as I can remember, and have at last count been waiting 29 years, 3 months, and 26 days for some genius plot idea to strike me from the blue. During that time, however, my focus, creativity, and memory (important for actually writing down ideas that occur in inconvenient places) have gone from questionable to often missing altogether. I have ideas, lots of them, but they're ephemeral and disconnected and small - no great American novel ideas, more like one liners that only the other voices in my head get to hear. My husband and I call these "car thoughts" - as in, I have most of my thoughts while driving, which is the only time in an average day that I have time or mental space for thoughts beyond diaper changes and grocery lists. I don't know if anyone really needs/wants to share in this so-far-mental monologue of mine, but the theory here is that if I actually write down some of my one-liner thoughts, I may at some point work up to entire paragraphs, essays, short stories, etc. I can dream, right? In other words, this is about me, not you, whoever you are. Nothing like a selfless blog.

Hmm, for someone who is writing to expand her thoughts, I sure am longwinded. Surely that introduction could have been more succinct. I'll try out this posting thing and come back in a bit for a download (from my swiss cheese brain) of my most recent car thought musings.

1 comments:

Keith said...

I love it. I can't wait to read more. You are so eloquent, my dear!