Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Congenital insanity

I've spent most of today going through box after box (after box) of mostly papers and pictures that my mother kept to document my every breath from birth to high school graduation. Thank god I didn't live at home for long after graduation, or we might all have been buried alive under the detritus.

Just as I thought the end was approaching, I opened the last box and found...my great-aunt's old stamp collection. Thousands and thousands (no exagerration) of stamps, mostly stuffed in old prescription boxes with no obvious organizational structure and no indication of value. My first inclination, after hours of sorting through my own historical record, was to toss it all. Curiosity got the better of me and I started picking stamps at random and looking them up on ebay - almost every one I picked was selling for between $2 and $6. So now I feel like I can't just throw them away, because that would be like throwing out cash. Except that I don't know anything about stamps or how to get them appraised or sold or whatever and now I have a stamp headache and am just deeply concerned about the very obvious craziness I've been wading through all day, because it seems likely that it's congenital or at least contagious.

0 comments: