Saturday, January 13, 2007

Just in the nick of time...

I've caught whatever plague the children have had this week. Why is this in the nick of time? Because the babies are sleeping much better (especially my daughter, who slept from 7pm to 5:30am, then ate and slept again until 8, rendering her officially my favorite), and heaven forfend I not have something to whine about. That was a close one!

This is the oddest virus alive. All of us (all 4 little kids and now me and I think my mom, although she's being a lot more stoic about it than I am) have weird eye symptoms. The kids' eyes are all pus-y (ha, as in full of pus, not that their eyes are pussies) and red, and mine are so tired and painful I can hardly keep them open. I feel like someone is sitting on my chest, and I keep coughing, but nothing comes up. My nose itches but isn't running, and I've slept more in the past 24 hours than I have in the previous week (no complaint there). Big boy woke up sobbing last night with ear pain, but was fine this morning, and then he couldn't hear out of the other ear this afternoon. Now my ear hurts. Suck.

Other than the pestilence and the accompanying whininess (my own I can handle, the children's is getting to me), things are good. Not that there's ever a great time to feel awful, but this isn't a terrible time, and I am really quite good at sitting around doing nothing. I'm actually pretty impressed with my immune system for keeping me well all this time with no sleep. I attribute it to all the fat I've been eating. Who knew fat was so healthy? Granted, this conclusion is based on my own unscientifically conducted research using just the one test subject (me), but as it's a conclusion that allows me to rationalize having a milkshake in a few minutes to soothe my scratchy throat, I am embracing it.

1 comments:

Laura said...

You know, we've had a weird virus around here, too. Our eyes have been okay, but the snot--my GOD, the snot--has been bountiful, and the kids' mouths have become all red and swollen. They've begun to look rather urchiny (I mean, more urchiny than usual), in fact.