Saturday, February 03, 2007

I have a dream. Sort of.

At long last, I am writing the promised life dream post. As is my wont, I'm already changing my mind about this, because my attention span can be best measured in seconds, not years or even months, but here it is anyway:

I want to buy a small farm (a farmette, if you will) near the city. Just a few acres. I want to have a couple horses (this is the only part of the dream that has actually persisted throughout my entire life) and some goats. I need the goats - and this is the part that puts my husband into hysterics - so I can card their wool, spin it into yarn, and knit it. Oh, and I want to homeschool my kids on the farm.

It's funny that I'm visualizing this possible future 10 years after moving to the city to start my IT career. I remember that year well, and my dreams then involved climbing the corporate ladder fast and breaking any glass ceilings I encountered. I was engaged, but to someone I actually didn't like all that well (what can I say, my past is littered with ill-conceived choices), and although I knew I wanted children some day, I imagined that day to be far off into the future. Plus, I think I had some vague notion that I could be uber-career-girl AND have a family, having bought the feminist ideals of my mother's generation wholesale and forgetting (or having not yet discovered) that I totally and completely suck on no sleep. And am pretty lazy, really. Oh, and hate working.

I'm fickle, though. I started looking at houses for sale around here the other night (we're not moving, I was just killing time), and found a really gorgeous, huge old house that costs a fortune. So that made me think I should go back to work and make boatloads of money and buy a large house. Why are my dreams so immoderate? I want either extreme simplicity or extreme luxury. Well, since simplicity is cheaper, that's not as hard a decision as it sounds.

What I should dream of is becoming a competitive eating champion. I could totally win at eating. I have been blowing through an alarming amount of food this week, even by my own usually very high standards.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to tell you that I had sudden notion a few weeks ago. It was a knowing that you and I are going to start and run a business together. So, please include this on your dreams list.

Anonymous said...

As far as I can tell, the business does not include horses (maybe goats).

Anonymous said...

hmmm....i'll have to consider if farmhand would be on my list of possible careers. I'm thinking no.
But you keep dreamin!

Karen, I want in on the business!

Anonymous said...

SJ?? Is that you??

Anonymous said...

Um, sweetie darling, You don't really like being outside much? You loathe bugs and such. Farms are rife with flora and fauna and not all of it is cute and cuddily.

D and I have toyed with the idea of buying his grandparents farm in Western PA when they pass. They have 125 arces..you could build your own house. They rent out land to other farmers and we have thought of having an organic farm. Start off with stuff that you can milk and eggs from birds and progress to organic produce. Homeschool the kids, D makes art...I can be a nurse anywhere.

You can buy in with us, but I warn you the farm is full of shit, bugs and lots and lots of dirt. And things that make you GO A-CHOOO!

xx

MamaNiger said...

I love your dream and all and I'm glad you have it but I might have to kill you if you decide to follow through on this dream outside of the Baltimore metro area. You and Cole are my two friends in the city - you can't both leave and live on some farm in the middle of nowhere!!! I wouldn't be able to come b/c what can an economist contribute to a farm co-op? And I hate the smell of horse poop.