Monday, August 18, 2008

An excellent character trait in a spouse

Not to be too personal, but things have been a little roller-coastery around here, marriage-wise, and I'm happy to say they seem to be on an upswing. When discussing the possibility of marriage counseling, we talked about not wanting to disappoint each other. My lovely husband said - as the children ran dirty and grouchy through the filthy house, as he put away dishes from the meal he bought and prepared after working all day to support us, as I sat with my 3rd beer in an hour and surfed the internet with my fat roll hanging over the waistband of my too-tight shorts - that I never disappoint him. And so I have determined that the single most important character trait in a spouse, at least in my spouse, is low expectations. It certainly helps to be the second wife, compared always to a woman who seems to actively seek slovenliness, poor parenting, insanely bad money management, and unkindess. I'm just not ambitious enough to beat her.

0 comments: