Saturday, June 16, 2007

Teflon boy

I was just obsessing researching autism spectrum disorders, because my 3 year old had his first behavioral therapy appointment Friday and it's fresh in my mind, and I found this article. I just skimmed it, but it seems to say that some kids with PDDNOS "lose" their diagnosis in time with appropriate therapies. I was already feeling pretty good about the therapies we have planned for him (occupational therapy, a social skills group for similarly strange little people, language therapy, and behavioral therapy), and this makes me even more hopeful that he will be able to have a "normal" childhood and life. It further made me realize that although people comment on children's resilience all the time, this child is more resilient than most. If he does lose this diagnosis in time (not to count chickens before they're hatched or put the cart before the horse or any other farm-y metaphor/cliches), it will be his third time losing a presumably permanent diagnosis. He was born with a VSD (heart defect) that Hopkins thought at a year would be permanent and might even need surgery, and it inexplicably closed on its own at 18 months. He was diagnosed with asthma right around his second birthday and never had another attack after diagnosis. I choose to look at this history as a sign that he's an odds-beater, a statistical anomaly. I know it's going to take a lot of work to catch him up, but I feel like we're getting an early start and a lot of help, and I just love him so much. Is it stupidly optimistic to feel like it's all going to work out fine?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

believe

Anonymous said...

Not stupidly optimistic! Not! You've got all the right help at the right time. Any residual quirkiness will be endearing.