Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day

On Father's Day, it's standard to praise the mad parenting skillz of the father(s) in your life, but I would honestly say, any day of the year, that my husband is the best father I can imagine. My kids are so lucky. He is patient, fair, genuinely interested in each of them, and, above all, fun fun fun. Time with Daddy is like a trip to an amusement park for my kids. He will drop anything he's doing to play inane games or wrestle on the floor. He includes them in everything he does, and they learn so much from him. He's by far the nicer person in our relationship, but the kids respect him and will go to great lengths to make him happy, while walking all over me and never fearing my much-more-substantial wrath. He is more involved in my stepkids' lives than many fathers are with kids that live with them full time. I grew up largely without a father, and I love seeing the richness of the deep bond my kids have with theirs.

When I was pregnant with my oldest son, I thought I was going to be a single mother, and I (foolishly) thought that was just fine, that I could do it on my own. I'm older and wiser now (and fatter, though that's probably not relevant), and I know for certain that my world and my son's would be a far less secure and joyful place without my husband. I don't know how I could do it without him, and I know for sure I wouldn't want to.

I love you, sweetheart, best husband and father. I hope you have a wonderful day.


(Note: one of the kids in this picture isn't ours, for those of you who know us and are confused by the random blonde girl)

0 comments: