Monday, June 11, 2007

SCHOOL'S...OUT...FOR...SUM-MER!

Children fold time back on itself. My oldest son just "graduated" from kindergarten, and the three months of vacation stretches out before us like the promised land or purgatory, depending on the time of day and point of view. I know that this summer will be challenging in many ways, but I still feel the excitement of summer as seen through my newly-liberated child's eyes. Thank goodness for the pool, for naps, for window air conditioners. For the chance to live childhood again, with more power and less sleep.

School is behind us but also already looming in front of us. I thought I had put the school decision behind me when I signed big boy up for his current school last March, but my commitment to that decision is a weak reed indeed. Just as I met the new principal and started feeling really excited about next year, I learned of a new charter school. It's a language immersion school - kids choose Mandarin, Russian, or French - and it's just around the corner. Wouldn't it be amazing to grow up bilingual? I've been reading studies of children from immersion schools, and they tend to do better in all subjects, not just language. If I don't send the kids there, am I depriving them of a really unique opportunity? If I do, am I scarring big boy by switching him from a school where he's already comfortable? Think they'd just let ME matriculate, as a kindergartener, so I can learn Mandarin myself?

I need to put the littles to bed. Our bedtime creeps later with the setting of the sun. If we lived in northern Alaska, the poor kids would be reduced to a 45 minute nap around midnight (but would sleep 23 hours a day in winter, now there's an idea...).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Scarring for life after switching from one school to another between grades? Probably not. Even for a bug who hates transitions. Anyway, a new year at the old school will still involve lots of changes: a new teacher, a new mix of students, etc. The new charter school options are getting more and more exciting; don't base decisions solely on avoiding change (says the one who always claims to avoid change but seems inexplicably to embrace it).

MamaNiger said...

you should do it. I emailed the director today though haven't heard back from her yet. I'm so excited about the prospect. It is an amazingly unique opportunity - not only for a private school nevermind a public charter.

Anonymous said...

I know! That school was in my mix of schools. It messed me up! I was relieved that they didn't have a facility at that point so I could put off the decision. I also was put off because they didn't have spanish. How many job opportunities in the US come from speaking French?

Where is their facility?