Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Adrift in the land of no sleep

I'm so tired, and I never sleep, but I'm bored of never doing anything because I'm tired. Here's where the poor judgement and clumsiness and erratic behavior come in. I decide that I MUST just go on with life, and stop this futile waiting for rest that is clearly not coming, so I make plans to do normal things like a normal person - get together with friends, go grocery shopping, knit (okay, not sure normal people knit, but I like knitting). I really enjoy doing these things, but then the wall of exhaustion hits harder and earlier than usual, because I squander my extremely limited energy on behaving in a manner unbecoming to the living dead, and then I just have to collapse in a moist desperate heap of hopelessness until the next 20 minute snippet of sleep I can snatch from the clutches of my evil twins (my twins are fraternal in genes but identical in evilness)(evility?).

I keep thinking of things to do, then fizzling out when confronted with actually accomplishing anything. Examples:

1) Starting a business. I have an actual idea (rare). I have a possible company name. I started doing financial analysis. I even submitted a quote request to a hardware vendor, but they haven't responded (possibly due to my lack of an actual, real life business), and so the steam, she has worn off.
2) Actual parenting. My three year old needs a 12 step program for video game junkies, so I have been trying to distract him from his addiction by plying him with mom activities like playgrounds, puzzles, and other fun things starting with the letter P. Peanut butter? Whatever. Anyway, his focus and will far exceed my own, as is only natural given our relative levels of sleep (him: 12 hours a night. me: 20-45 minutes, 2-3 times in each 24 hour period).
3) Writing the great American novel. In my head, in the dead of night (and let me tell you, as a regular visitor to the dead of night, it truly is a morguish and unpleasant land), I think of not just ideas but whole paragraphs of elegant and compelling language that I intend to commit to paper (or pixels) ASAP - but the ideas are ephemeral as dreams (and may, in some cases, actually just BE dreams) and never make it to the writing-down stage.

I'm sure there are more, but my brain is proving my point (do I have one?) by not remembering the rest. I need sleep. And maybe chocolate.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

evilocity?

Anonymous said...

You need House. And damn, it was good tonight.