Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I'm officially old

I'm officially starting in-class pre-requisites next week (my organic chemistry class was online), so I went to the college today to pay tuition, buy books, get my ID, etc. My first indicator that I wasn't in Kansas (aka, the real live gwown-up world) anymore was the mile long line of prepubescent-looking fellow students at the bursar's office. To add insult to the injury of the long, young line, I appeared to be the only person actually giving money to the college. Everyone else was getting some kind of rebate. Lame. Do kids still say lame?

While I was in the only-old-people-pay line, I talked briefly with a life-sized Barbie doll, done up in full makeup and very fancy clothes to get her mystery rebate. The conversation went like this:

Barbie: Are you a transfer student?
Me: (incredulously) No, I'm old.
Barbie: Yeah, I know, but you could still be a transfer.

Yeah, I know? Biyotch.

And then, the final blow. After paying my tuition, I walked the 6 miles uphill in the snow (it was literally snowing, and uphill, but probably only felt like 6 miles) to the building where one gets one's student ID (because why put all adminstrative functions in one building?). I filled out my application form and stood in yet another line, then gave my form to the clerk. Her first question? "Have you been to HR yet?" It took me a minute, but then I realized what she meant and answered, "no, I'm not faculty, I'm a student."

Next week should be interesting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to college as an old person. HAHAHAHAHA.

Your starting gifts are a pair of highwaisted mom-jeans and a fuzzy sweater with a kitten on it.

I try to feel smug myself knowing that I do not take sleep for granted any longer and that they, those young barbie and kens, still stay out all night and then get up for class. they will miss the sleep one day and I have already learned.

x

Gina said...

they are getting their student loan money after the college takes the tuition! ah, memories.
are you at towson? sounds like b/c they are the most ridiculously unorganized school ever in my experience (my ex went there).
when you gonna learn my boy some knitting?? i need to get him to work making clothes!!