Thursday, July 26, 2007

Yet another swimming pool PSA

This time of year, there are constant warnings in the media and in whispered anecdotes and in mothers' secret hearts of fears about the dangers of swimming pools. Just last week, for example, my boy twin proved once and for all that I DO have too many children when he escaped for 30 seconds (I thought he was on the blanket right in front of me, but it was his 3 year old brother acting as accomplice by somehow impersonating him) and was standing up in the kiddie pool, fully clothed and quite pleased with himself, by the time we noticed his absence. That boy is going to make me revise my position on child leashes, but that's another story.

This PSA is for you parents reading at home, though, not for your children, so pay attention. If you are an adult, say 5 feet tall or taller, and you are playing with your child in the shallow end of the pool, do not show them how to do a backward flip underwater. You're taller than you were the last time you did that (in the 1980s), and you WILL hit your lip and chin on the bottom of the pool. The bottom of the pool, incidentally, seems to be made of recycled sandpaper, and while I admire the recycling ethos, it does not feel good on one's face.

Consider yourselves warned.

0 comments: