Saturday, July 14, 2007

Better living through pharmaceuticals

I'm not sure if I mentioned it here, because I'm a little sketchy about needing prescription drugs to act like a human being, but I've been on a low dose of Zoloft since May. It takes 6 to 8 weeks to reach full effectiveness, but I started feeling somewhat better right away, and my doctor doubled my dose last week to the regular starting dose (I was originally on a very low dose indeed) and now I feel....normal. Like the person I'd actually forgotten I used to be. It took me a few days of feeling this way before I realized that it wasn't a fluke, that I wasn't high, that this is regular, non-suck life. I've been enjoying my children, I've been patient and calm (mostly - I mean, it didn't turn me into someone else or anything), I've been happy. I've also been sleeping like 12 hours a day, but I figure that will level off, or else my mom and husband can just adjust to doing all the housework and child care unassisted. I'm sure they won't mind, when they contrast that with having the old, mopey, weepy, screetchy, post-partumy me back.

So, life is good and my brain seems to be returning to some kind of normal functioning. Normal for me, that is. My weird date-thing is back, where I figure out what I was doing a week ago, a month ago, a year ago, etc. Every day can be red-letter if you memorize obsessively. For example, 10 years ago today was my first day of work at the job I ended up loathing that I moved to Baltimore for. If that isn't the awkwardest sentence alive, I don't know what is, but you get my point. It's also my birthday - I'm 31 and 4 months. It's also one month since Flag Day, 3 days before the anniversary of the day in 2002 when my husband and I toured the venue we ended up choosing for our wedding, and one year since my stepson met the twins.

Boy twin just jabbed little boy in the eye with a fork. I think that's the international sign requesting parenting, so I'd better run. Happily!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how much difference medication can make. It is weird how meds can make me feel more like myself. I have to take pills to be the real me. The pills aren't changing us, they are getting rid of the shit that isn't us.

You go, girl, you rock that 'script.