Thursday, September 15, 2005

It is so. damn. hot.

Yes, yes, I know, it's been ages again. I have attention issues.

My epiphany as I headed to bed last night had to do with the invention of the post-it note. As background (stay with me here), it has been approximately 156 degrees and 125% humidity here the past couple days, courtesy of our friendly 2-states-away-and-still-making-my-hair-frizzy buddy, Hurricane Ophelia. Seriously, worst weather ever, at least in the 8 years I've lived in this swampy pit of a climate. We canceled classes at my sons' preschool today because it was so hot. Anyway, and as usual, I digress. So, it's hot. And, more importantly, it is sticky. As I dressed for bed last night, my arm actually stuck to my side. I had gotten sweaty, then flung myself down in front of the (sad, inadequate, not dehumidifying) air conditioning unit to cool/dry off, then immediately become soaked again from the most minor exertion, cooled off, sweated, cooled off, repeat....all day. So, by bedtime, I had a thin but visible veneer of dried sweat. Attractive, I know. I wore a virtual shield of deodorant yesterday, so you need not imagine unpleasant aromas during this exercise. Good god, could I make this post about nothing any longer? Short story long, when my arm stuck to my side, then peeled off, I was reminded of post-it notes and how cleverly they stick but release. I'm guessing they were invented by another inmate of the mid-Atlantic.

I hear fall is due next week, between 2pm and 4pm on Wednesday - I hope it's not late, or I'll miss it while I'm in Italy. I'll be sure to bitch about the freezing cold when I get back.

5 comments:

Keith said...

Post-it ® notes may have been a God-send…literally. In the early 1970s, Art Fry was in search of a bookmark for his church hymnal that would neither fall out nor damage the hymnal. Fry noticed that a colleague at 3M, Dr. Spencer Silver, had developed an adhesive that was strong enough to stick to surfaces, but left no residue after removal and could be repositioned. Fry took some of Dr. Silver’s adhesive and applied it along the edge of a piece of paper. His church hymnal problem was solved!
Fry soon realized that his "bookmark" had other potential functions when he used it to leave a note on a work file, and co-workers kept dropping by, seeking "bookmarks" for their offices. This "bookmark" was a new way to communicate and to organize. 3M Corporation crafted the name Post-it note for Fry’s bookmarks and began production in the late 70s for commercial use.

In 1977, test-markets failed to show consumer interest. However in 1979, 3M implemented a massive consumer sampling strategy, and the Post-it note took off. Today, we see Post-it ® notes peppered across files, computers, desks, and doors in offices and homes throughout the country. From a church hymnal bookmark to an office and home essential, the Post-it note has colored the way we work.

MamaNiger said...

Thank you Keith for your ever informative information. Perhaps you should call up (Ken Burns? whoever does the mark twain crap you tivo) and ask him to do a documentary on this topic so that you could TIVO it and torture Debbi with it in the future.

Keith said...

lobbelou, you best pipe down out there in your corner of the blog world or you will be the subject of my documentary on Sunday at O's party.

MamaNiger said...

That's fine at least it will be interesting. :-)

Keith said...

I was page view 1111. What does it all mean?