Saturday, September 08, 2007

Blue, baby, blue

So, I'm moving on from yesterday's silver-lining-seeking and entering the dwelling-on-it phase of this mood front. You know the stages of grief? I should document my own stages of falling-off-the-edge-for-no-freaking-reason. For example:

1) Denial (doesn't everything start with denial?). I get more preoccupied, more confused, more forgetful, but without really noticing at first. My world grows smaller and harder to handle, gradually and then faster and faster, until it's so small I'm forgetting the rest of the world and denial becomes impossible to sustain. I then move on to:
2) Determination to avoid, this time, the joy-sucking darkness of mind, the fear and anxiousness and paralysis of the next stage. Another stage in denial, really, where I look for things that don't suck (and sometimes post them in lists, see below). Inevitably, this does not work, and then comes:
3) Suck. The point at which I give up the pretense that life is livable under these mental/emotional conditions and wallow in the misery. Today, in other words. It's 8:45pm, I took 2 naps today, I'm still in last night's pjs, the kids have been left to the tender mercies of their father's loving but fairly distracted care all day, all meals have been leftovers, I've read an entire novel, and I just sobbed at a children's movie, prompting big boy to say "you're crying over a stupid movie?" Hello, daily-crying-about-school pot, I'm a kettle. Everything feels wrong, I feel wrong, words sound wrong, food tastes wrong, noises are loud and jangly and...wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.
4) The stage that's hard to see from here. I know, intellectually, that stage 3 does not last forever. Believing it is tough at times. Medicine helps. Maybe this time it will be short.

So there you have it, falling apart in four easy steps.

5 comments:

Keith said...

I believe Mr. William Joel said it best. Perhaps on a 70s satellite radio station.

I said I love you and that's forever
And this I promise from the heart
I could not love you any better
I love you just the way you are.

He also wrote some terrible songs about Christie Brinkley almost nullifying everything good that came before it.

I don't want clever conversation
I never want to work that hard
I just want someone that I can talk to
I want you just the way you are.

Gina said...

debbi, so sorry you are in the world of suck. i know it well.
keith's comment was just about the sweetest thing ever. i bet that made you sob too!
check out http://www.realmental.org/
you should get this post published there.

Laura said...

Oh, Debbi. I hope you snap out of your blueness soon. May sunshine be just around the corner.

And Keith! I don't even particularly like Billy Joel, yet still your comment made me cry.

Anonymous said...

I know suck, and here is the truth about suck: No matter how bad it is, it always ends. Leave your body and look down at yourself, and you will see that NONE of this is your fault. What I mean is, if you can get some perspective, you will see that it is the suck, not you, that is the problem.

Here are some happiness sparklies: *****

Anonymous said...

Check in!